Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Balloon Art by Willy



Maker Profile - Steampunk on MAKE: television from make magazine on Vimeo.



I got this link from my friend and former roommate Willy. It's from a cool DIY website that I am excited to further explore. Willy embodies all the cool parts of Steampunk with a lot of circus-y fun. He builds fabulous balloon sculptures and is starting a balloon business, Cheers 2 Balloons (his last name is Chyr. Do check out the website, the pictures are dope.) For the comb jelly photo above, he worked for a week to build it with LED lighting in the biology building, with my current roommate and some friends for labor and tech support. (My friends are so awesome. I can't get over it.) Hopefully, I will be helping with building huge balloon jellyfish for a children's science fair in Millennium Park in August! He made the balloon dresses above for a UChicago art week fashion show in the spring, and Zeb & I went to go see. A bunch of our friends were in the show, either designing or modelling, and while there were a few awesome dresses by other designers that I wanted to buy, Willy's dresses proved that he is the coolest kid in school.

No comments: