Saturday, August 22, 2009

Urban-Outfitters Haters Unite!


I was pretty stoked to find this post by Alyson Graves at Unruly Things about how she is thinking about cutting out excessive spending at big stores like H&M and Urban Outfitters, and to instead think more about purchases and spend at smaller, local retailers and vintage. Then she linked to the longer post by Anabela at Fieldguided. Read the comments, it's pretty interesting to hear the range of incomes and life situations that lead to similar conclusions about consumption. It's been 3 1/2 months since my post about my resolution to not buy new things unless they are responsibly made, and it makes me happy to find that other people are hopping on my "why bother with cheap crap made in sweatshops" bandwagon. Of course, full disclosure: in those 3 1/2 months I have bought absolutely GOBS of crap at Unique. I mean, really unnecessarily large amounts of stuff. I wish I had a camera or picture-taking abilities to share some of the more ridiculous items here; perhaps one day we'll do a tour of my Unique follies. And to be honest, I wouldn't have remembered that I made a "resolution" to stop buying new things unless I'd written a blog post about it-- my income can't really support much consumption no matter how I feel about it. Oops, I forgot! I broke my resolution awhile ago without thinking about it. I did buy a (one) pair of Hanky Panky undies, just to see what the fuss is all about and because they were on sale, and I felt like a high roller buying something from Saks.
Picture unrelated, but it felt in the mood of penny-pinching glamour. They're someone's family in Nebraska, I love it.

No comments: