Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Concerts in the Park

Last night I went to see Huntsville and On Fillmore perform downtown. I'd never heard of them, because I'm not very cool, but my friend's musician boyfriend was pretty excited about it. On Fillmore is Wilco's percussionist Glenn Kotche playing with bassist Darin Gray. This time Wilco guitarist Nels Cline was also with them, and it was full of bird and wild animal sounds. To me, it felt at times like a soundtrack to a creepy movie, and other times I just wanted to lie on my back, stare at the darkening blue sky, and turn the sounds into colors and shapes in my mind. Huntsville is Norwegian, and literally describe themselves as "abstract drone Americana and yoga country." What that means, I have no idea, but I think I might have enjoyed it more had it not gotten rather unseasonably cold and had I not been sitting on damp ground for hours. Anyway, seriously photoshopped image by Sky Noir on flickr, captures the rather surreal feeling of being there, in this Frank Gehry designed shiny pile of oyster shells, listening to music you don't understand for free, looking at the sparkling skyline, and feeling so lucky to live in Chicago.

No comments: