Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Revolutionary Protests in Egypt!

And now, a break from our regular programming of fashion and nonsense to show you what I've actually been obsessing about. The revolution going down (maybe) in Egypt!

Video from al-Jazeera. The facebook event page (yes, the revolution will be facebooked (and tweeted)) is already taken down, but the organizers' page is here, and it looks like they're planning another protest for Friday. Seriously, I don't care if you don't really care about Egypt or watch the news, but watch this video, especially the end, the tear gas and police scene is really... disturbing/riveting/intense.

I can't stop watching these videos, it gives me hope and makes me so happy. Even though I wonder what will happen, if it will just get squashed (more than 1000 protesters have been arrested, and 6 people have died), but it is so encouraging to see people coming together and demanding change for a regime that has been trampling on their rights for 30 years. Knowing the kind of rage Egyptians have been building up for years, it's just so good to see it come out. To spare you a google translation, it's the revolution against torture, corruption, injustice, poverty, and unemployment. HORREYA!

Side note: turns out my favorite bar in Cairo, Horreya (it means freedom) has undergone a facelift that I consider very unwelcome. It used to be a place where "expats, intellectuals, and artists" could hang out with cheap beer, and it was totally gross and dirty, and I spent many a Monday night there listening to impassioned conversations I barely understood (and plenty that I did). Everything changes, I guess. But a ban on playing chess?? Unacceptable.

Anyway, I like al-Jazeera as a news source but I think it's best here to take it from the source Al-Masry Al-Youm (Egypt Today), an independent newspaper, has an English-version website. They seem faster updated and have more impressive numbers, which I hope reflect the truth (except for the higher death and arrest tolls, of course). Anyway, hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

2 comments:

mosey said...

It is really amazing and it looks as though there's a revolutionary trend going on right now. Perhaps this trend will spread even further...

mosey said...

Of course I can't help but wonder what kind of new government will arise from this. A bit scary...