Sunday, August 8, 2010

Listening, Watching, Reading, Wearing, Wanting

Listening: youtube covers of Katy Perry's "California Gurls" because it sucks, but it's catchy, so I'd rather hear some teenager beatbox it. "Bebe Requin" by France Gall. Francoise Hardy, Dusty Springfield, Aretha Franklin. "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell (so true!). "Mr. Brown" by Bob Marley.
Watching:

Shakira's World Cup song "Waka Waka" has pretty much everything I like in it: Shakira, soccer drama, little kids looking happy, good-natured patriotism, nostalgia for last month, and sexy international soccer superstars. I also just found out that she's sampling this apparently very popular Cameroonian song, rivalling Kenyan music videos in "wtf factor":

Also, today I watched the Shania Twain "Live in Chicago" video with some Nepali/Burmese and Iraqi people that my mom knows, and now I have "Man, I Feel Like a Woman" stuck in my head and a new appreciation for how intimidating it can be to live here with no money and little English skills. I like visiting the people my mom knows because you get the wild card factor of being abroad and you still get to sleep in your own bed.
Reading: Always Running, by Luis J. Rodriguez. It's about gang life in L.A. Also, wikipedia articles about Georgia (the country) and various ethnic groups in northern Iraq.
Wearing: uh, right now? an old green t-shirt with a little picture of a shark and the words "white death" and my friend's borrowed "jazzy" green plaid running shorts. Earlier today, my vintage yellow and orange dress, and to go visit my mom's friends, my green skirt and a thrifted teal Michael Stars t-shirt. Yeah, costume changes.
Wanting: TSA to relax their regulations so I can bring back a bottle of this Carolina muscadine wine. To somehow both live in Chicago and Charleston simultaneously. For my boyfriend to stay safe from this. For my sunburn-soothing plan to work (hot showers and lots of aloe).

No comments: