Thursday, July 8, 2010

Banners and Pennants

Banners and pendants have been a trendy trend for awhile now on the internets, but they've been looking good around the world for much longer than that.
First image from Cherry Blossom Girl, taken in Yangshuo, China. Now I really want to go there!
This one is cute and simple. From twoandsix, via The Sweetest Occasion, via Oh So Beautiful Paper. Reminds me of a blog post I read a LONG time ago of valentine hearts made by a scientist of old journals and strung around her house. Here they are!
By Heart of Light via East Side Bride (a totally acceptable wedding blog that isn't really a wedding blog really). They're made of her old science journals!
These are from housemartin, via Snippet & Ink (I am over wedding blogs but still find a lot of cute ideas for home and parties).
by Oliver Yaphne, via Minor Details, via Swissmiss. I think we're supposed to be seeing the rug, but all I see are those fantastic pennants along the wall. And the nice big window.

Oh, Hello, friend had the idea to tie together vintage hankerchiefs to make a banner. I have scores of old handkerchiefs, and am so committed to them that today I sewed together a couple that had ripped. On one, the simple flower embroidery was apparently left unfinished-- forced into nose-blowing service by my impatient mother, perhaps?

Garlands are so all over everywhere (Modish, Confetti System, and on and on) that I am getting exhausted posting examples. No one really cares that much about little pieces of paper attached to string, least of all me.

The point is THIS picture:
I took that in Maadi in Cairo in 2007. Those Egyptians really got it right! Their pennants are made of cut-up colorful plastic bags, and they just leave them up in the street all the time. I love how you can see them disappearing around that winding alley corner, and above your head all bleached out by my over-exposed picture. You can deal with my poor photography skills, though, because of my enthusiasm for how cool Egypt is. This was part of the back-roads route that I walked when I went to teach English. You duck into this little labyrinthe after a harrowing walk past a school that just let out a mob of totally insane children, donkeys eating the grass that cushioned the fruit on the cart they pulled all day, a concrete box of a mosque draped in brilliantly-patterned tenting fabric and glowing green for funerals and services. Juice bars, dusty streets, guys selling bad "African" jewelry pinned to faded felt boards, graffiti, Coca-Cola, carrying white boards and chains to keep the chairs from being stolen.

No comments: